Friday, April 15, 2011

The "Mental Workout"

    The concept of the "Mental Workout",  is to commit to a "Olympic" training level of daily effort and practice with a sustained effort, to obtain health, happiness and wholeness.

    The first practice is called "Loving Kindness" and focuses on losing any self centered ness and losing ourselves in a enhanced global unity, concern and compassion for others, reaching a oneness or higher conscious state of mind and perspective. Focusing on positive energy and love, knowing that  loving kindness attracts loving kindness, like cleaving to like.
     The second practice is called "The Subtle Mind" which focuses on taming and training the mind, and accessing it's deeper levels, as well as exploring the essential nature of mind and experiences...ceasing abstract or ceaseless, or meandering thoughts, images and feelings associated with a restless or erratic state of mind and replacing it with oneness, wholeness, peace and focus... just "being still" in the moment.
     The research indicates that the proven benefits of a mental work out are obtaining a higher state of consciousness or a unity consciousness, and achieving extraordinary levels of understanding and insight, as well as wisdom, peace, compassion and happiness.
     We can implement these practices to to help us obtain and foster integrated mind,body and spiritual healing, well being and health, as well as creating psychological health.

Dacher, E. 2006.  Integral Health: The Path to Human  Flourishing. Basic Health Publications, Laguna Beach, California

3 comments:

  1. The second practice seems to be something that I have been trying to master for some time now. Setting goals to enhance my spiritual well being is always a challenge to me because of the time and effort along with patience it takes to accomplish this task.

    The first practice on days can come easy or difficult but again it's all a choice and along something that we all need to practice.

    Krystle Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie,

    Your description and examples of a mental workout are wonderful. I must say that an hour a day seems like a stretch for me at this time in my life, but I can definitely create the habit. I can already see benefits from having a few minutes of quiet time in the morning and again in the evening. I find myself thinking more about loving-kindness and acting toward others and myself in a more purposeful way.

    The subtle mind - ending the chatter - that is something I am hoping will come with practice. My mind seems to be chattering all the time. Learning the skill of quieting that chatter at will can only be a benefit.

    I really enjoyed your post.

    Sherry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie,
    I also like the way you elaborate the examples of mental workout. I am starting with small steps,and gradually get to an hour. My challenge is not starting, it's always staying consistent.
    great post!
    Samie

    ReplyDelete